Wednesday, August 24, 2016

How to Be a More Likeable Person - Meditate!

Tips for Becoming a Likeable Person

by Kathleen Lisson


Getting to the heart of likeability leads me back to a lesson I learned on the playground - but not from other children, from my own parents.

Mindful attention is what we have been crying out for every since we were little children begging our parents to look at us while playing on the playground. As children and adults, we can feel instinctively when a conversation partner isn’t really listening anymore. Their eyes will drift over our shoulder or their hand will toy with their smartphone. In an argument or discussion, their mind will be racing to perfect their reply before we have even had the chance to finish voicing our opinion.

The solution: making a meditation practice a part of our daily wellness. Regular meditators are more likeable people because they have trained their listening skills. Spending time in meditation develops the ability to pay attention in the present moment with purpose, focus, and non-judgement.

As a meditator, I am not perfect. I still get bored listening to small talk at parties but I may be able to catch myself in these mindless behaviors and reorient myself to listen to others in a purposeful, focused, non-judgemental way.


Kathleen Lisson is a certified Meditation Teacher and Labyrinth Facilitator and teaches Meditation and Mindfulness at IPSB college in San Diego. Sign up for a private meditation lesson or labyrinth walk in the comfort of your home here: https://www.massagebook.com/San_Diego~Massage~sandiego?src=external

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ditch the Itch! B Vitamins and Nerves after Plastic Surgery Liposuction

Itchiness is a complaint I hear frequently from my clients recovering from plastic surgery, especially liposuction. This is due to nerve reg...