Thursday, September 11, 2014

How to Build 'Mental Muscle' - With Boredom?

Mental Training for Long Distance Runners


by Kathleen Lisson

I am still thinking of the excellent article on mental training I read in Runners World recently. In 'How to Build Mental Muscle,' Alex Hutchinson details how he used "brain training" to strengthen his resolve in the last miles of a marathon. 

Does Being 'Bored' Slow Us Down?

Hutchinson found that exhausting his mind with a boring online task for an hour before a training run helped him to simulate late-race conditions. I understand how this could happen - running after a long day of work often seems far more tiring than it should be. 


  • Could being mentally exhausted affect race time just as much as physical exhaustion slows us down?
  • How can we as runners strengthen this weakness and perform at our best late in a race or on a long run?


What can you do as an athlete to simulate mental exhaustion before a training run? Let me know your ideas by sending me a tweet at @kathleenlisson

Read the article here: http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/how-to-build-mental-muscle?page=single

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ditch the Itch! B Vitamins and Nerves after Plastic Surgery Liposuction

Itchiness is a complaint I hear frequently from my clients recovering from plastic surgery, especially liposuction. This is due to nerve reg...